Tuesday 27 May 2014

Reflecting



Through my research for Frozen- An unconventional fairytale I have learned an awful lot, and not just about the theories but the film itself. Firstly, I've learned that there are hundreds of encoded messages in Frozen but I have only named a few. From what appears to be a children's Disney film has unveiled itself to contain deep, meaningful messages. It's interesting for me especially as the first time I watched the film I didn't really noticed how many layers Frozen has, it was around the 3rd or 4th time I really started to see the deeper messages. 

I've also learned that no matter how old some theories are (Propp) they are still valid to this day. I really value this, especially Propp's Narrative Theory as my research was about how Frozen challenges the typical conventions of a fairytale and Propp provides the basis for my argument. 

My thoughts have definitely been altered through my research. For example I placed myself in the 90% of 'lurkers' (Nielsen 2006) however now I would like to interact with my favourite media products on a higher level. I now believe that any passion felt for a media product is worth become a intermittent contributor to, as you would care about what you contribute. 

Although Jenkins argues that contributors must feel as though what they contribute matters, I believe it actually does matter. Disney would want to encourage people to contribute to the world of Frozen. Years ago, it would have only been the film which people could enjoy, now that they are an "active" audience who can participate in it too. I believe that in the future I will personally consume media in a different way- I would like to be part of it too. I have the tools and products to do so, so I would definitely like to participate in my favourite media texts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment